|IDEXX update - January 31, 2014|
The NYSVMS sent out an email alert to members, Thursday, Jan. 30, noting that complaints had been received by a neighboring state VMA regarding a potential computer security issue.
IDEXX has provided us with the following update and information:
• There has been no security breach within the Cornerstone Practice Management software or any other IDEXX product or service.
• We are aware that there are security vulnerabilities with veterinary practices that have open Internet routers in their clinics, but this is an issue unrelated to the practice’s software, and is not unique to veterinary practices.
• IDEXX has been proactively communicating with its Cornerstone customers to encourage them to take steps to ensure their networks are secure. IDEXX recently sent a letter to all Cornerstone customers to alert them that open ports on their Internet router leaves them susceptible to being breached by a third party. IDEXX advised its customers to disable RDP (port forwarding), and to either use remote access software or implement a VPN to strengthen their network security. We have attached IDEXX’s letter for your further information.
• Network security is important to everyone and challenges to network security are an unfortunate reality in today’s world. IDEXX is committed to getting the word out that veterinary hospitals should work with their IT security professionals to ensure their networks are secure, regardless of what software they are using.
• If you would like more information please contact IDEXX Technical Support at 1-800-695-2877 and select option 6.
Click here for IDEXX's Network Security Recommendations.