Contact us Or call 518-869-7867 

Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Register
GVVMA Association Mtg & CE Event: An Overview of Canine Epilepsy and Canine Cognitive Dysfunction
Register Tell a Friend About This EventTell a Friend
 

3/28/2019
When: Thursday, March 28, 2019
1:15-5:30pm
Where: Duncan's Center for Veterinary Education
825 White Spruce Blvd
Rochester, New York  14623
United States
Presenter: Curtis Dewey, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM (Neurology), Diplomate ACVS


Online registration is available until: 4/30/2019
« Go to Upcoming Event List  

GVVMA Association Meeting and CE Event

An Overview of Canine Epilepsy and Canine Cognitive Dysfunction 

Speaker: Curtis Dewey, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM (Neurology), Diplomate ACVS

 

The first part of this CE presentation will cover idiopathic/genetic epilepsy (IE) and the second segment will deal with canine cognitive dysfunction (CCD). Idiopathic or genetic epilepsy is the most common neurologic disorder of dogs. Most dogs with IE will begin their seizure history between 1 and 5 years of age, but it is not uncommon to see dogs who are beyond either end of this age range when they start having seizures. Most (70% to 75%) of dogs with IE will be well-controlled with one or two antiseizure drugs, and the remaining 25% to 30% are refractory to drug therapy. There are many drugs available for clinical use in epileptic dogs. In addition to a review of drug choices, this presentation will discuss a variety of non-pharmacologic treatments for seizures in dogs, including dietary manipulations, Chinese herbal therapy and hemp-based phytocannabinoid products. CCD is very common in geriatric dogs (8 yrs and older), and is often accepted as being an unalterable aspect of aging. A number of features of CCD in dogs may assist in diagnosis, particularly historical complaints. Characteristic MR imaging findings of dogs with CCD will be discussed, in addition to some new observations regarding brain microhemorrhages. There are a number of effective treatment options for CCD, including diet, drugs, nutraceutical and herbal products, as well as environmental enrichment strategies. Many of these therapeutic options should also be considered as preventative options for aging dogs, before cognitive impairment is identified. 

 

 Thursday, March 28, 2019

1:15pm-5:30pm

 

Duncan's Center for Veterinary Education

825 White Spruce Blvd, Rochester, NY 14623

 

2019 GVVMA Members - Free

Non-Members & LVTs - $60

Every current GVVMA member can bring one LVT to one free lecture in 2019. If you would like to use this member benefit for this class, please register the LVT and enter the promo code "GVVMAfree" in the payment information section (Note: You must be logged in as a member for the code to work).

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal